Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Chkdsk Woes

Apparently, Windows' Chkdsk can't fix some errors it finds on your hard disk. I recently checked my hard drives and both failed file and directory structure tests in SeaTools, which conveniently directs me to use the operating system's tools to correct the problems. Chkdsk says unallocated sectors are being reported as used, and use /F to fix the MFT. After running Chkdsk /F (scheduled at startup) and Chkdsk to check several times, the same errors were still present. A cousin said this could mean the hard drive's electronics could be failing. Great.

Using Chkdsk /R in the Recovery Console finally worked, I hope. Why do I need /R which locates and tries to fix bad sectors, when my problem is non-physical and with the file system? Shouldn't have /F worked in the first place?

No comments: